GeoMetrix is looking for talented ambitious professionals! Please see the job descriptions below. Contact our office for additional information.
As a Structural Technologist your responsibilities will include preparing conceptual and detailed structural drawings for a range of commercial, industrial, and transportation projects. You will coordinate work with project managers, engineers, and other technical staff. Depending on preference/experience you may be required to perform field visits during construction to evaluate structural installations. Excellent communication skills both written and verbal are required.
- Diploma in civil / structural discipline with certification by a recognized technical association such as ASET (C.E.T., R.E.T., or T.T.).
- Ability to deal with competing priorities and manage time appropriately.
- Excellent organization skills with attention to detail.
- Strong communication, leadership, problem solving and decision making skills with ability to work independently and with diverse groups.
- Strong drafting skills, a keen eye for detail, and good knowledge of drawing set-up and production.
- Proficiency with AutoCAD, REVIT and the Microsoft Office suite.
- The confidence to take risks and show initiative to be innovative and think big picture without losing sight of the details.
- Committed to learning and ongoing personal and professional development.
- Translating engineering sketches and markups into properly documented drawings in electronic format (2D or 3D).
- Preparing and modifying technically complex 2D and 3D drawings using Computer Aided Design (CAD).
- Providing library and CAD system maintenance.
- Ensuring that all essential design data has been received, obtaining relevant information from other sources, performing simple calculations to determine dimensions, elevations and slopes, checking for obvious conflicts, errors or missing information, and determining the most appropriate drawing layouts and design presentations.
- Ensuring drawings are produced in accordance with applicable drafting codes and standards.
- Assisting the engineers in preparation of Issued for Tender, Issued for Construction, As-Built, etc. drawings packages.
- Reviewing and assessing filed quality assurance documentation.
Intermediate Structural Engineer
We are looking for an intermediate structural engineer with over 4 years of experience in the structural design of buildings or bridges to join and contribute to our team. Your responsibilities will include solving technical engineering problems for a range of structural engineering problems for commercial, industrial, and transportation projects. Managing projects as well as the management and mentoring of junior staff will be required. Excellent communication skills both written and verbal are required.
- B.Sc. in Civil Engineering and an M.Sc. or M.Eng. in Structural Engineering.
- Registration as a P.Eng. with APEGA or other provincial associations.
- Working knowledge of the National Building Code and Canadian Highway Bridge Design Code.
- Experience with steel, concrete, timber, and masonry design codes.
- Experience with structural analysis software (SAP2000 or S-Frame).
- Knowledge of local owner standards (Alberta Transportation, Saskatchewan Highways, BC Ministry of Transportation, City of Edmonton, etc.) would be an asset.
- Prior construction administration/management experience is preferred.
- Management of projects and mentoring of junior staff.
- Creating design sketches for drafting by CAD staff.
- Review of other engineer’s calculations.
- Solving engineering problems including creation of design notes.
- Development of engineering tools using software programs (MathCAD, Excel, TEDDS, etc.).
- Client liaison.
- Development and review (including stamping) of engineering reports, technical specifications, and other technical documents.